Monday, January 17, 2011

Word and Question 8

 Hosted again by the lovely Enbrethiliel over at Shredded Cheddar. Go read the rest of the entries here. She wondered if I could write something that wasn't musical. Since I never thought what I wrote was musical in the first place, I don't know if it's even possible for me to oblige. It must be something about the way language works in my ear.

I can say, though, that this post is at least musically inspired. There were a couple of directions I could have gone with my prompts. I've been a little sober in my poetry, lately, and that is the easiest path to take. There was also the possibility of some political allegory, but I spout my opinions enough in other venues. Poetry should be about beauty, not politics.

At the risk of prejudicing your reading, I'll post the two songs that I've got in mind as I write this







And now, enough putzing about.

Word: heavy
Question: What are we having for dinner?

Homemaker
Heavy knocking on the doors
One final glance all round the house
Chairs in order, lamps all lit
Stew singing songs to the goose on the spit
And her husband has thrown out the mouse

Brush the skirt, fix the hair
Glance at the man in the old rocking chair
Beaming with pride, flushed with delight
Blush at his smile as he lights up his pipe
And open the door to the guests in the night

8 comments:

  1. Well, this inspired me to FINALLY do # 7.....
    http://salomeellen.blogspot.com/2011/01/word-and-question-78.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and by the way, yours paints a very clear picture for me; a whole story in just a few lines. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you finally got the inspiration to write. Now we just have to go bug Bat to write his.

    Thank you for the compliment. This is one of my favorites, and I'm glad it told a story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. +JMJ+

    Well, you're done early! =D

    And I love this one! It's so homey and rustic and happy! =D The line about the singing stew is just wonderful.

    At first I thought she was a young homemaker whose husband had just come home. It works just as well with an older lady whose husband is right at home in her loving care. Probably better, actually, because now guests can get to bask in the light of their well-ordered domestic love as well!

    PS--No, it's not "musical" at all. =P Happy? (LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    PPS--I listened to the music after I read your poem. I think they complement each other beautifully. Perhaps the songs are the stew and the poem is the goose? LOL! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. +JMJ+

    PPPS--Yes, indeed, let's go bug Bat!!! And let's start here. =P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I'm glad you loved it - makes me all proud 'n' stuff to have people like my stuff - gives me feelings of warmth and general well-being.

    I'm almost sorry it wasn't another song, but only almost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This isn't a comment about the poem -- which is a finely wrought poem, showing a command of meter that ventures an appropriate flexibility -- but rather about your "preface" to the poem:

    "Poetry should be about beauty, not politics." I wholeheartedly agree!

    "... the lovely Enbrethiliel" -- I wholeheartedly agree!

    ReplyDelete