Monday, August 23, 2010

Word and Question 2

0x736565646C696E67
&
SELECT Wish FROM tblWishes
WHERE Depth='Deepest'

Time for the second round of Word & Question via Shredded Cheddar. This time I will tell you the word and the question... well, I sort of already did. But read the poem first, then you can get your geek on.

The Caverns of the Soul
Many deeply planted longings
Overshadowed day to day
Struggle oft to reach the surface
Struggle 'neath a pressing weight
Of cynical routine
And apathetic waste
The complex that bear not speaking
The simple found in but one word
I've known them all and plummed their depths
Some have sprouted seedling hopes
Others laid to rest
But down within the recesses
Beyond the simple and complex
Beyond the arm around a waist
The breath of sea and whispering leaves
The sunset burning hills that grieve
For the souls that fall from grace
Deep within the caverns
Lies a seed of hope
To see and feel and know and be
Beyond the hills, beyond the sea
Drowned in love and ecstasy
To embrace, and be embraced

8 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    Why does the beginning remind me of my recent rant against high schools? =P

    I like the ending very much. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Emily,

    Thanks. Glad you like it.

    @E,

    Well, it wasn't supposed to be about highschool. I was actually thinking more of Jackson Browne's "The Pretender" in those early lines.

    I must be forever doomed to end better than I start. It's not so terrible. Maybe one day I'll get one that flows all the way through.

    Also, I should post this on your blog, but I'd be willing to host the next round, though I'll need a prompt, like someone saying "when's the next round" to actually set it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I wish I was as good with words as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sunset burning hills that grieve...

    Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, sir. And this is why I wish you'd write more often... *nudge*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so wish I could write free verse. I'm good with meter, naturally I think, but this makes me wish I could let it go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    For those who didn't bother to translate the ASCII and SQL at the beginning:

    Word - seedling
    Question - What is your deepest wish?

    ReplyDelete